Saturday, April 27, 2013

Tansit continued....

It sounds like you've just woken up to something Margot?
"After years of being interested in Jungian psychoanalysis, as an anlysand, a member of the Jungian society and a reader of his work, I've found something that moves on many more steps. So yes, I feel that I've woken from a long, helpless dream."
I look at her staring back at me.
"I joined Soka Gakkai International, a Buddhist group of 14 million people chanting twice a day, it's an amazing experience to be able to move into connection with the life force by chanting the Lotus Sutra and Nam Myoho Renge Kyo."
It must have altered your work a lot, maybe locked your mind down? I ask politely, thinking of cults and other brain washing institutions.
"On the contrary, I feel that the roof has lifted off my mind, I now feel able to range over huge universes without fear or falling. On a work level being able to push paint about in this new space is like a revelation.
I've joined a marvelous group of  people striving and chanting for the peace and enlightenment of everybody, to transcend ourselves, to completly understand the meaning of cause and effect. There is nothing onerous about the practise and it has had the most enormous effect on my life and those around me."
I can't argue with her quiet commitment so change the subject and wonder if she tries to make light of what she does?
"I think actions in the world should appear effortless, it gives things a beauty if you don't see the work behind. Painting is not therapy, it's not good for you to sit in a room alone day after day with the paint fumes but this is a whole new adventure, trying to paint into existence things that I was only half aware of until recently. There's so much more I want to put down now.
Transit is a gallop round my mind in concrete images, painted as I began chanting. Next comes the pathways, roads, tracks down which we gallop.

No comments:

Post a Comment